Baby Steps: Puppy and Kitten Care
Introducing a new puppy or kitten in to your home is always exciting. The frisking and frolicking of this new furry family member is hard to resist, and their enthusiasm for life can be contagious.
At Statesboro Bulloch Regional Veterinary Hospital, we know the joy a new puppy or kitten brings. We also know the responsibility that comes with your new companion, and we are prepared to help you provide the care and support your pet needs for a long and healthy life.
From vaccinations and having your pet spayed or neutered, to establishing a lifelong routine for wellness and dental care, our knowledgeable veterinarians and staff have the experience needed to get your pet off to a healthy start in life.
As soon as you bring your new pet home, it is important to schedule a wellness check as soon as possible.
During his or her visit, you can set a schedule for upcoming vaccinations, discuss any questions or concerns you may have about caring for your new pet, and develop a schedule for proper routine wellness care.
During your initial visit, you can also plan for the following events:
- Vaccinations—Both puppies and kittens will need to be vaccinated at 6, 9, 12 and 15 weeks of age
- A regular schedule for heartworm and flea and tick preventives
- De-worming—Be certain to schedule a de-worming for your pet at least four times between the ages of 6–15 weeks, and again at 6 months and 1 year of age
- Having your pet spayed of neutered at 6 months
- Microchipping—So your pet can get home safely should he or she ever stray
- Obedience training (for puppies)
Maintaining this schedule is important for the lifelong health and wellbeing of your pet.
If you have, or are considering, bringing a new puppy or kitten into your family, please call us to schedule an appointment. We can’t wait to meet your new furry friend!